Brown University Library
East Asian Collections Cataloger (Term Appointment)
The Brown University Library seeks an experienced library professional
to catalog print materials and other tangible formats for its East
Asian collections. This position is a 12 month term appointment.
The East Asian Collections Cataloger will be responsible for providing
intellectual access primarily to Chinese-language materials in a
variety of tangible formats. Working with both older and more receipt
imprints, s/he will search appropriate bibliographic databases (e.g.,
WorldCat, Brown’s local Josiah catalog), find and modify matching
records, or create new entries where necessary. Reporting to the head
of Cataloging and Metadata Services, the East Asian Collections
Cataloger will also work closely with the East Asian Collection
curator and other staff members to prioritize work, manage workflows,
and resolve problems relating to the cataloging of these items.
The Brown University Library encompasses six facilities, including one
24/5 student study space and one off-site, high-density storage
building. The Library’s holdings include over 4.6 million total
volumes, 13,000 linear feet of manuscript materials, over 88,000 print
and electronic journal subscriptions, several hundred thousand
e-books, and nearly ca. 80,000 digital objects. The Library’s Asia
Collection comprises ca. 150,000 volumes in East Asian languages
(Chinese, Japanese, and Korean), as well as thousands of additional
Western-language items, e-resources, microforms, A/V resources, and
maps. A dedicated staff of 155 FTE (including 66 bargaining unit
support staff) provide services to a campus population of 800 faculty,
2,500 graduate and medical students, and 6,000 undergraduate students.
The person filling this new position will:
• Describe Library materials (primarily in the Chinese language) that
require original cataloging or substantial upgrading of cataloging
copy, using current cataloging codes and carrier standards (e.g., RDA,
AACR2, Machine-Readable Cataloging (MARC)).
• Assign classification numbers, subject headings, and genre terms for
items in all subject areas.
• Perform authority work for local, national and international files,
including headings contributed to the Name Authority Cooperative
• Effectively manage the flow of materials according to Library priorities
• MLS degree from ALA-accredited library school or combination of
other graduate degree and relevant experience.
• Minimum of three years of cataloging experience.
• Native or near-native Chinese-language ability, including ability to
read both traditional and simplified characters. Reading knowledge of
Japanese and/or Korean highly desirable.
• Demonstrated proficiency with prevailing cataloging rules and
standards (e.g., RDA, AACR2), Library of Congress's application and
interpretation of those rules, Library of Congress subject headings
and classification system, and MARC21 or other data carrier formats.
Commitment to contributing to international bibliographic databases
and authority files. Experience describing multiple formats.
• Familiarity with Romanization schemes for Chinese (e.g., Pinyin, Wade-Giles).
• Strong computer skills, including experience with personal computer
hardware and software and local and network-based input, editing, and
• Successful experience working in collaborative, professional environment.
• Degree and/or expertise in one or more subject specialties or formats.
• Interest in serving the needs of the Brown community of users and in
maximizing access to the library resources.
• Evidence of ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English.
To apply for this position (JOB# B01459), please visit Brown’s Online
Employment website (https://careers.brown.edu), complete an
application online, attach documents, and submit for immediate
consideration. Documents should include cover letter, resume, and the
names and e-mail addresses of three references. Review of
applications will continue until the position is filled.
Brown University is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer.
Samuel A. Mizer
Head, Cataloging and Metadata Services
Brown University Library
Providence, RI 02912
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 401-863-3640 Fax: 401-863-1272