BIBFRAME December 2012

Early Experimentation Code Available

"Ford, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Dec 2012 10:04:54 -0500

We're making code available that will permit programmers and developers to better understand how MARC Bibliographic records can transform to BIBFRAME resources.  The code is available at:

https://github.com/lcnetdev/marc2bibframe

There are two versions: one in Python and one in XQuery.  The Python version produces JSON files for viewing in a Simile Exhibit presentation (also included).  The XQuery version outputs RDF (as RDF/XML, N-triples, or JSON).  Although the Python code expects to be invoked from the command line, the XQuery code can be invoked using Oxygen XML or the Eclipse IDE, in addition to a few other methods.

The XQuery is the product of Network Development and MARC Standards staff at LC; the Python version is the work of Zepheira.  The two transformations were developed independently of each other.  They therefore do not "split" MARC Bibliographic records into BIBFRAME Works, Instances, Authorities, and Annotations in the exact same way.

Both are subject to change.  Neither is canonical.  They are very much works in progress.  As such, the names of properties and classes/entities are in flux and will invariably change in many cases.  Sometimes, developers just need to do something to keep going, even if it is subject to alteration later (and often is modified).  Nevertheless, we want to make these available for evaluation and to stimulate further conversation.

We are presently working on a way to better expose the output of these transformations to a wider audience.  In the next several weeks, we hope to provide a service that will permit individuals to submit their own batch of MARC Bibliographic records for transformation.  This way, you can see what *your* data might look like conforming to the BIBFRAME model.

--
Kevin Ford
Network Development and MARC Standards Office