Help for BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  December 2012

BIBFRAME December 2012

Re: Early Experimentation Code Available

"Ford, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Dec 2012 15:00:25 -0500

Karen,

It's what we have now.  That is not to say we haven't recorded decisions/thoughts, but those are recorded largely in written note form taken during regular discussions.  We are in an experimental phase and we've not focused on codifying anything.  Indeed, rapid development does not necessarily lend itself to ensuring pristine documentation, though that has actually been started.

As to your desires - the HOW, the WHAT, and the WHY - we will make that information available in the near term, but the code offering made now is our effort to provide additional material for evaluation and discussion.  At the risk of repeating myself, the original message, in fact, included notice that we were working on making this work more accessible to the community.  Your HOW, WHAT, and WHY are part of that effort.  Ultimately, we made a decision.  Wait until all our ducks were perfectly in a row or release early and often.  We chose the latter. Perhaps we chose wrongly.

Owen, in a separate response to this thread, pointed to a snippet of the Python code that is fairly readable to those not versed in the inner workings of Python.  It's a good snippet to look at.  His intuition to hone in on it was spot on.

I can offer the top section of this XQuery for additional discovery:

https://github.com/lcnetdev/marc2bibframe/blob/master/xquery/modules/module.MARCXMLBIB-2-BIBFRAME.xqy

Pay particular attention to the XML blocks that follow "declare variable."  It's not as uncluttered a presentation as the Python, but someone accustomed to looking at XML would likely draw the logical conclusion that elements wrapped in a parent element named '<instance-notes>' probably represents notes associated with BIBFRAME Instance resources.

What is essential to understand, however, is that both the Python and XQuery represent current, in-the-middle-of-experimenting thinking and not to draw a final conclusion about anything.

Kevin