BIBFRAME December 2012

Re: Errors converting records

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Dec 2012 06:38:16 -0800

On 12/21/12 4:51 PM, J. McRee Elrod wrote:
> MARC is a very rich and informative coding system, which has been
> under utilized by ILS.

It's rich, informative, and often highly ambiguous. For example, in this
case where there is more than one work but only one 740, to which work
does the 740 pertain? Who is the creator related to this title? MARC
does allow those relationships to be coded ($3) but that is rarely
included. Ditto the other 7xx's in this record, which do not designate
which work they relate to. Systems can only work with data that has all
of its meaning expressed in a codified way in the metadata. In MARC
records, (as in pre-MARC cataloging) there is an assumption that a human
will be reading the data and making the right connections. That doesn't
translate to the machine world. Thus, there is little that one can do
with the 7xx's in this record if you wish to show that there are two
separate works included in the package:

245     10 |a Missa solemnis / |c Ludwig van Beethoven. Messa di Requiem
/ Giuseppe Verdi |h [sound recording].
700     1_ |a Milanov, Zinka. |4 prf
700     1_ |a Castagna, Bruna. |4 prf
700     1_ |a Björling, Jussi, |d 1911-1960. |4 prf
700     1_ |a Kipnis, Alexander, |d 1891-1978. |4 prf
700     1_ |a Moscona, Nicola. |4 prf
700     1_ |a Toscanini, Arturo, |d 1867-1957. |4 cnd
700     12 |a Verdi, Giuseppe, |d 1813-1901. |t Messa da Requiem. |f 1980.
710     2_ |a Westminster Choir. |4 prf
710     2_ |a NBC Symphony Orchestra. |4 prf
740     0_ |a Messa di Requiem.

Once again (as I continue to beat this dead horse) basing a future
bibliographic model on MARC can't move us very far forward. I liked
Mark's opening statement that our goal here is "Seeing how the end
results match the "intention" of the bib record." I think that the
intention, in many cases, may be richer than the MARC encoding.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net