BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  December 2012

BIBFRAME December 2012

Re: Errors converting records

"Laurence S. Creider" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Dec 2012 12:38:27 -0700

Dead horse, yes.  MARC is simply not capable of doing all the things that
we want and/or need our metadata to do.  It has been a wonderful tool that
 has outlived a number of proposed replacements, and an increased
granularity could probably be introduced into the system in a major
reworking that would solve some of the issues you mention below.  Even a
non-systems person like myself, however, can see that no amount of
tweaking will provide the degree of relatedness amongst data that we need.

Of course, the other side of the issue is that any proposed replacement
for MARC will be DOA UNLESS it can adequately and usefully translate all
those millions of MARC records into the new format without human
intervention on each record.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Interim Head

On Sat, December 22, 2012 7:38 am, Karen Coyle wrote:
> On 12/21/12 4:51 PM, J. McRee Elrod wrote:
>> MARC is a very rich and informative coding system, which has been under
utilized by ILS.

> It's rich, informative, and often highly ambiguous. For example, in this
case where there is more than one work but only one 740, to which work
does the 740 pertain? Who is the creator related to this title? MARC does
allow those relationships to be coded ($3) but that is rarely included.
Ditto the other 7xx's in this record, which do not designate which work
they relate to. Systems can only work with data that has all of its
meaning expressed in a codified way in the metadata. In MARC records, (as
in pre-MARC cataloging) there is an assumption that a human will be
reading the data and making the right connections. That doesn't translate
to the machine world. Thus, there is little that one can do with the 7xx's
in this record if you wish to show that there are two separate works
included in the package:

> 245     10 |a Missa solemnis / |c Ludwig van Beethoven. Messa di Requiem
/ Giuseppe Verdi |h [sound recording].
> 700     1_ |a Milanov, Zinka. |4 prf
> 700     1_ |a Castagna, Bruna. |4 prf
> 700     1_ |a Björling, Jussi, |d 1911-1960. |4 prf
> 700     1_ |a Kipnis, Alexander, |d 1891-1978. |4 prf
> 700     1_ |a Moscona, Nicola. |4 prf
> 700     1_ |a Toscanini, Arturo, |d 1867-1957. |4 cnd
> 700     12 |a Verdi, Giuseppe, |d 1813-1901. |t Messa da Requiem. |f
1980.
> 710     2_ |a Westminster Choir. |4 prf
> 710     2_ |a NBC Symphony Orchestra. |4 prf
> 740     0_ |a Messa di Requiem.
>
> Once again (as I continue to beat this dead horse) basing a future
bibliographic model on MARC can't move us very far forward. I liked Mark's
opening statement that our goal here is "Seeing how the end results match
the "intention" of the bib record." I think that the intention, in many
cases, may be richer than the MARC encoding.

Cataloguing HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/ ___} |__