BIBFRAME January 2013

Re: Punctuation

"LeVan,Ralph" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:21:30 -0500

As part of the VIAF project, we spend massive amounts of time trying to
parse names. They are *not* broken into separate fields. Last name?
One part, two part, more parts to that last name? Is it Beethoven or
van Beethoven? Names in some cultures are *really* complicated, but
they are all jammed into a single subfield with some minimal punctuation
to separate them. Good enough for a card and usually good enough for a
display, but really tough for smart machine processing.

That's just the most common composed field. There are many others.
Break them apart.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Trail, Nate
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Punctuation

If it's in a MARC record, there's no need to guess, because the
subfields are already parsed parts. Title proper is 245$a, subtitle is
245$b, etc.
Nate

Nate Trail
Network Development and MARC Standards Office Technology Policy Mail
stop 4402 Library Services Library of Congress
202-707-2193