BIBFRAME January 2013

Re: Input screens

Deborah Fritz <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:19:25 -0500

We have been working on a prototype of how a 'cataloging input screen'
might work in a MARC-less RDA environment.

We call it 'RIMMF'. It is not web-based, but it is free and you can
download it from here:
http://www.marcofquality.com/rimmf

We are not sure how this fits into the BIBFRAME scenario, since we
designed it as a visualization tool for RDA/FRBR thinking, especially the
concept of expressing relationships between metadata entities. But as long
as someone does the mapping of RDA elements to BibFrame elements, we think
RIMMF should be able to produce BibFrame data, whatever that might turn
out to be.

As a visualization tool, it is designed to *show* more of its underlying
structure than a 'real' cataloging tool would do, so it is not quite the
simple wizard-guided form that we hope to eventually see from the ILS
vendors.

It does, however, do some of the nifty help things others have mentioned:
e.g., pull
down vocabularies, automatic population of elements, live links to
instructions, interactive links between metadata for different entities.

Simple forms will be great; but, at this point, we are focusing on how to
make the underlying structure work, thinking that the structure has to be
solid  before you can begin the challenging process of making complicated
concepts simple.

We will be demonstrating RIMMF at two meetings at ALA Midwinter in
Seattle, if anyone is interested in seeing it in action:

Copy Cataloging Interest Group:
http://alamw13.ala.org/node/9076
(Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 8:30am to 10:00am)

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access Meeting II (ALCTS CaMMS):
http://alamw13.ala.org/node/9044
(Monday, January 28, 2013 - 8:30am to 11:30am)

Deborah

Deborah Fritz
TMQ, Inc.
www.marcofquality.com