]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  January 2013

EDUCAT January 2013

Re: Seeking input for upcoming ALCTS CAMMS talk

Allyson Carlyle <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:51:26 +0000

text/plain

catching up to this discussion, one comment on the word "theory" -

This word has different meanings in different communities. In more solidly scientific (and much more populated with scientists, which helps a lot) fields, there's enough research out there to build theories from research findings. In LIS, we don't have this much, if at all.

When I talk about theory in cataloging, I am contrasting it to practice, in this way:

When you teaching cataloging practice, you point to rules & standards, and say "this is how to do it."

When you embed theory in practice, you point to rules & standards, and say "this is how to do it" but add "this is why" (including historical practices & justification) AND "how this plays out in catalogs" and "do you agree with this practice? does it work? is it worthwhile?" - these last are what I think it means to teach cataloging or KO imbued with theory.

You can teach theory by itself - Elaine Svenonius, my cataloging teacher, for the advanced cataloging courses, did it this way - read, think about what you have read, comment, discuss in class. This was stimulating and wonderful, but I personally like the combo, although the practice part is a killer to maintain.

So, one definition of theory (Merriam Webster online): "the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another" could be interpreted to mean "the analysis of cataloging rules and standards in relation to how they play out in actual examples, in a cooperative environment, in a linked data environment, in specific systems, etc."