ARSCLIST  February 2013

ARSCLIST February 2013

Re: Tip for ARSC Conference presenters -- reinforcing previous lessons

Don Cox <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:53:18 +0000

On 22/02/2013, Paul Stamler wrote:

> To Tom's excellent advice I'd add: Always triple-proofread any slides
> you'll be presenting, and if possible have someone else give them a
> once-over. I once co-presented with a guy talking about the "Rhythm
> and Funk" musical style (not my term, his). He made a one-letter error
> in "Funk"; I suspect he wondered why the entire class seemed to be
> working hard to suppress laughter when the slides (the error was in
> several of them) appeared on screen.
>
> Also, one other suggestion: if you're working from a prepared text,
> lift your eyes from it and make eye contact with the audience as often
> as possible.

NEVER read a lecture word for word from a text. Never, EVER.

Usually, the slides are enough to remind you what you are going to say
next. If not, a simple list of topics in order may help.

After all, you are talking about something you know and care about.

If possible, avoid using a microphone. It distances you from the
audience. (It is like a jazz band using a PA setup.)

Nor do you need to shout to be heard. If you talk, slowly and with
longish pauses, to the people in the back row, then everyone will hear
you, even in a large lecture theatre.

The whole point of a live lecture is that it is directly personal.
Otherwise the audience may as well stay at home with Wikipedia and
YouTube.

45 minutes is long enough.

Regards
--