ARSCLIST  February 2013

ARSCLIST February 2013

Re: RCA red vinyl for digital

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:20:11 -0500

Incorrect about DGG. The first digital record, as stated on their own website a few years ago (I
think they took down that nice history/timeline they used to have), is Kremer, violin / Maazel /
Berlin Philharmonic - Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. DGG used the 3M system in their early days (I
finally found a British pro-audio magazine article confirming this).

DGG was late to the party, but Philips was last. I incorrectly stated Philips' first digital
recording in my ARSC Journal article, and the answer was hiding in plain sight! The first Philips
digital record was "Pops In Space!" by John Williams and the Boston Pops. It was recorded on the
Soundstream system and a Decca engineering crew handled the job. I don't think any other Philips
records were made using the Soundstream system, and no Decca records that I know of were made with
Soundstream. Decca had their own digital recorder by that time, but may not have had a machine
available for Boston on the date of the session. Or, Philips may have opted for Soundstream in any
case.

When I did my ARSC-NYC presentation on Thursday, one of the highlights for me was being able to
discuss Soundstream and RCA's extensive use of it with Jon Samuels, who had first-hand knowledge. I
wish Jon would do a presentation summarizing RCA's entry into digital, and take it up through how
they did the first Living Stereo reissues and then how the subsequent Living Stereo SACD's were
done. The whole topic is interesting and I give RCA and BMG a lot of credit for experimenting with
many different systems and methods.

Regarding the Ormandy red LP, just buy a copy on eBay. They are plentiful. Pablo red LPs are also
plentiful and non-valuable as collectables.

I should submit and addendum to the ARSC Journal because I did uncover a few new facts and got
corrections for two factual errors in my article. That said, it's a somewhat obscure topic. Final
salient fact -- the music business has been digital more than half the timespan since the LP
debuted.

-- Tom Fine