ARSCLIST  February 2013

ARSCLIST February 2013

Re: Red Vinyl - Franklin Mint

"Randy A. Riddle" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:00:15 -0500

If you're just wanting good collections of big band and popular music
from the 30s and 40s, the Reader's Digest sets can be very enjoyable.
They were aimed at the "nostalgia market" that cropped up in the 70s
and 80s and contain "greatest hits" from the periods they cover, great
for casual listening.  Certainly cheaper than buying the 50 to 100
tracks in one of the sets from iTunes.

I've heard good things about the Franklin Mint big band and jazz sets
as far as the quality of the transfers and pressings and can be a good
bargain if you pick up a big group of them at once, but not at the $20
a pop they're going for in online auction sites.

I think the Reader's Digest sets were mostly pressed by RCA and the
one's I've run into in good shape have quiet vinyl.

The nostalgia boom of the 70s and 80s is a particular fascination of
mine; I'm working on a discography of old time radio lps released
during this period.

Randy