ARSCLIST  February 2013

ARSCLIST February 2013

Re: Mono but Out-of-Phase

Clark Johnsen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Feb 2013 13:49:40 -0500

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Richard L. Hess
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

Totally agree, except for this:

> Attempt to learn the Wood Effect and see if you can determine which
> channel is correct.

There is no "correct" on tape, LP or CD -- because there is no standard of
reproduction that will yield the proper result at the listener's ear. We
are stuck with two polarities just as we are stuck with two political
parties; one must pick and choose.

But yes, by all means, acquaint yourself with the Wood Effect, which is
pretty audible over any low-phase-shift loudspeaker -- and therein lies the
hitch.

clark