ARSCLIST  February 2013

ARSCLIST February 2013

Re: Audio on computers

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Feb 2013 08:57:17 -0500

Further on this, mainly for Shai and Mark, plus whomever else is intersted ...

The document you want to read is this one:
http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/newsletter/Newsletter_10th_Anniv.pdf

That gives you a step-by-step on how to take an ordinary Toshiba Windows 7 laptop, optimize the
system and software selection for a portable music server, and replace the hard drive with a
solid-state drive (which, as noted, would cost almost as much as the computer itself).

My 2 cents -- you can also do this with a desktop Windows computer, and have unlimited music storage
in the process. The way I'd do it is track down a CardDeluxe or other PCI audio card that has
AES/EBU output. For the CardDeluxe, you'd need to track down the AES/optical daughter-card, which
the manufacturer may still have in stock (they do not make the 2-channel PCI card anymore). Then you
can keep the noisy but rock-solid desktop hardware separate from your listening room, running
AES/EBU to your DAC. That's how I get audio from my studio up to my living room and it works very
well. If your cable run is short, for instance if the computer is in an equipment closet or on the
other side of a wall), you're fine using SPDIF 75-ohm cable.

My one nit-pick with the article is that I'm not sure you gain anything running the laptop on
batteries vs. keeping it plugged in. As I understand it, laptops ALWAYS run off the battery and the
power is equally clean and stable whether the battery is plugged into the charger or not. If someone
has science that refutes this, please present it because I would like more facts.

The advantage to a laptop setup is portability and self-contained-ness. The disadvantage is limited
music storage unless you are OK with a noisy external drive sitting right next to your silent
laptop.

Another way to do this, which works well (and tests well, according to John Atkinson at Stereophile)
is use an external USB drive with a Logitech Squeezebox and then SPDIF to your DAC. You need a DAC
with good jitter-rejection like a Benchmark for this, but Atkinson's tests indicated that the
Logitech (which is a total bargain audio component, so much more than a file-streamer) does a good
job of USB-to-SPDIF conversion. You can also run Squeezebox server software on your computer with
alll your audio files and then they stream over your wifi or wired ethernet. My 2 cents on that is,
if you want high quality uninterrupted playback, you need to have a computer dedicated to being the
server and you need to streamline the Windows install. I have done both methods and prefer a hard
drive hooked up directly to the Squeezebox. The Squeezebox is OK with a Window-format drive, so I
can unplug occasionally to add or remove files using my computers.

Finally, if you have a good robust ethernet in your house, streaming music really doesn't use much
bandwidth. So you could have a network-attached drive in another room holding your music library and
stream to the foobar on the silent-running laptop.

I remember back about 15 years ago when I made a Linux-based music server that was controlled by my
Handspring-branded PalmPilot. Now THAT was a kludge! In comparison, the Windows 7 install described
in the newsletter link is a walk in the park.

-- Tom Fine