ARSCLIST  February 2013

ARSCLIST February 2013

Re: Two more extreme record collecting geeks

Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:00:19 -0700

I have two albums I have collected dozens of copies of, but my purpose
is researching the pressing history of them.  I did an article in
Goldmine about the Paul McCartney Melodiya album because all the idiot
collectors were going after "variations" in cover color printing and
placement of the star, but totally missing that the labels and covers
printed the pressing plant locations!!  They noticed where the star was
located but didn't notice that a lot of the words on the labels were
different!  A dealer supplied me about 25 copies for $3 each that were
classified by HIS differences, but I was able to completely turn around
how this album was collected -- and even found a few real variations the
Russian collectors had never seen, and are now illustrated in their book
and web site.

The other album will be part of my ARSC Conference presentation this
year, "The First Family".  I have examples from all but one pressing
plant.  Ironically I noticed just this morning that my Canadian copy had
gone missing, and after asking David Lennick what he had, I am buying
the Canadian copies of both volumes that had belonged to his father, a
member of the Wayne & Schuster troop and presenter of a CBC radio comedy
DJ show.  So I am not just picking up every copy, only variations I need
to tell the history of the albums.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]