ARSCLIST  February 2013

ARSCLIST February 2013

Re: Tip for ARSC Conference presenters -- reinforcing previous lessons

DAVID BURNHAM <[log in to unmask]>

DAVID BURNHAM <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 09:07:22 -0800

I appreciate what many of you are saying about spontaneity but successful public speaking is a talent and often the people who are skilled at their topic may not be skilled speakers.  I have found this to be the case for some ARSC presenters, (and this is not a criticism, I would be just as awkward at giving an organized presentation even though I may be thoroughly familiar with my topic);  I am much more comfortable when someone is speaking animatedly, not reading a text and keeping eye contact with the audience, but I've been to many presentations at ARSC where the presenter possesses none of these skills but has a very interesting subject which he/she knows very well and I can still take away the substance of the presentation.

db