BIBFRAME February 2013

Re: Newspeak

"Riley, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:51:22 +0000

text/plain

Stumbled across some 1998 guidance from Tim Berners-Lee that might be helpful, found at:  http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/RDB-RDF.html.  It seems to me to be relevant for this point in the discussion.

"The Semantic Web and Entity-Relationship models

Is the RDF model an entity-relationship mode? Yes and no. It is great as a basis for ER-modelling, but because RDF is used for other things as well, RDF is more general. RDF is a model of entities (nodes) and relationships. If you are used to the "ER" modelling system for data, then the RDF model is basically an opening of the ER model to work on the Web. In typical ER model involved entity types, and for each entity type there are a set of relationships (slots in the typical ER diagram). The RDF model is the same, except that relationships are first class objects: they are identified by a URI, and so anyone can make one. Furthermore, the set of slots of an object is not defined when the class of an object is defined. The Web works through anyone being (technically) allowed to say anything about anything. This means that a relationship between two objects may be stored apart from any other information about the two objects. This is different from object-oriented systems often used to implement ER models, which generally assume that information about an object is stored in an object: the definition of the class of an object defines the storage implied for its properties.

For example, one person may define a vehicle as having a number of wheels and a weight and a length, but not foresee a color. This will not stop another person making the assertion that a given car is red, using the color vocabulary from elsewhere.

Apart from this simple but significant change, many concepts involved in the ER modelling take across directly onto the Semantic Web model."

A couple of concepts that look like they might also be worth consideration are anchor modeling and duck typing; both terms have Wikipedia entries.  I don't know enough about either of these to contribute anything meaningful--maybe they're easy to dismiss out of hand.  I'd like to know if anyone sees them as relevant.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ratliff, Louise
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Newspeak

Hi,

 I applaud Stephen for his analytical approach to BIBFRAME and the FRBR model -- thanks for helping us to sort this out!

Overall,  I have a general  caveat to present with regard to defining "types of work," which is to beware of defining things in terms of their carriers rather than their content.   That being said, I don't see a dissertation being a type of work, but rather a work that has some attributes that are different from other works.  Dissertations have an association with a degree and an institution.  Other than that, they  don't differ from other works, be they textual, visual, or whatever.

Cartographic works might be a valid "type," since they present information within a geospatial context.

On balance, though, I wonder what value there is in specifying "type of work?"  Aren't there just "works?"  At the FRBR Expression level, some works may appear in different representations from the original "work" but still retain some identity of the original "work."
As a user, I am not looking to find "types of works," but rather a set of resources with certain characteristics (author, format, form, etc.)  I find "types of works" to be an artificial concept.

Just my 2 cents based on trying to get my head around this!

Louise Ratliff

Louise Ratliff
Social Sciences and Map Catalog Librarian UCLA Cataloging & Metadata Center Los Angeles, CA

P.S.  The Open Metadata Registry already has defined all of the MARC vocabularies.  I don't see why you cannot use that.  (I'm being naive here to make my point.)