BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  February 2013

BIBFRAME February 2013

Re: Unicode collation for Bibframe (Re: Filing indicators)

"Heuvelmann, Reinhold" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:31:19 +0000

Hi Jörg,

in addition to the valuable information you gave, I'd like to point to the norm ISO/IEC 14651, "International string ordering and comparison -- Method for comparing character strings and description of the common template tailorable ordering", which is the ISO/IEC standard equivalent to and subset of the Unicode Collation Algorithm (UCA). There is the basic norm, and an Amendment 1 (both in English and French) available via

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html .

These norms are providing a framework _and_ detailed lists of data for string ordering and comparison. Collation is depending on language and culture. In Germany, we have defined a delta for the list, as there was need for some German specific ordering (yes, the Umlauts were among these), resulting in an updated version of DIN 5007-1. There is no online version of DIN norms.

From my point of view, these norms handle collation / sorting / ordering / comparison _mainly_ on the level of single characters, or combinations of single characters. Higher level standards are then providing rules for whole strings, e.g. Library of Congress Filing Rules, ALA Filing Rules, DIN 5007-2, and many more. And maybe Bibframe.

Best wishes

Reinhold

--

Reinhold Heuvelmann
German National Library

*** Reading. Listening. Understanding. German National Library ***