BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  February 2013

BIBFRAME February 2013

AW: [BIBFRAME] Filing indicators

"Heuvelmann, Reinhold" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:38:04 +0000

Dear Mac, dear all,

in my presentation during the LC Bibframe Update Forum in Seattle on January 27, 2013, I briefly mentioned that the point you are bringing up here is in scope of the Bibframe.

For me it is important to have a standardized way of handling initial articles in titles (main titles, uniform titles, varying forms of titles).  While it may be true that there are technical provisions to try and figure out, I'd still prefer to rely on the people cataloging, and their experiences.

The issue may go beyond just titles:  There are initial articles e.g. in names of corporate bodies, in topical subject headings, in names of publishers, and in names of places.

The issue may even go beyond _initial_ articles, as sometimes it is needed to exclude a part of a string in the middle of a MARC field from sorting.  This may become hairy, and is definitely of lower priority, at least in my opinion.

As far as I know, the JSC has just added an option to RDA, allowing not omitting initial articles, but leaving them as they are.  Of course, MARC has a long tradition of an indicator position that counts the characters that are "disregarded in sorting and filing processes" (cf. e.g. http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd245.html ).  And stemming from MAB, there is a similar way of using control characters in order to separate parts of a subfield from the remainder, to distinguish the sorting from the non-sorting parts of the subfield (cf. http://www.loc.gov/marc/nonsorting.html ).

I'd like to make the point that ONIX (http://www.editeur.org/8/ONIX/ ) for similar reasons in addition to the element <b203> = <TitleText> does have the elements <b030> = <TitlePrefix>, and <b031> = <TitleWithoutPrefix>.

I do not yet have a clear picture how, in the context of linked data, a Bibframe solution would look like.  Maybe separate elements will do the job, or maybe something "free floating" like the MARC control characters.

Best wishes

Reinhold

--

Reinhold Heuvelmann
German National Library

*** Reading. Listening. Understanding. German National Library ***