BIBFRAME February 2013

Re: Filing indicators

Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:48:44 -0500

Charles Pennell writes:
> I've imagined that non-filing indicators would be handled using
> mark-up that isolates the skip characters in much the same way we do
> at present for other XML mark-up schemas.

ISO 6630 defines 0x88 NON-SORTING CHARACTER(S), BEGIN [NSB] and 0x89
NON-SORTING CHARACTER(S), END [NSE] which could be used to wrap
characters in the titles. I've seen these mapped into Unicode at both
those positions and at U+0098 and at U+009C respectively. I believe
UNIMARC utilizes 0x88 and 0x89. The GND RDF data utilizes these in
different ways: I've seen U+0098 and U+009C, and I've seen the XML
entities &nsb; and &nse;.

[A proposal was submitted to the JTC1/SC2/WG2 in 2002 that proposed
mapping ISO 6630's NSB and NSE to U+0098 and U+009C (N2446). The
response N2498 suggests that there is no need to remap 0x88 -> 0x98 and
0x89 -> 0x9C, though people seem to do so.]

> Which brings up another interesting question, namely how are the LTIs
> and Marcives of the world prepping themselves for a non-MARC future,
> since we are talking about revenue streams here.  At the root of this
> question is the question of how they are prepping themselves for a
> world of linked data in which libraries link back to LC, NLM, NAL,
> Getty, OCLC, BL, or LAC rather than to the vendors?

That's a great question that I won't even attempt to answer, given I
don't speak for EBSCO Publishing on this list.

Then again, I /am/ on the list and following the progress, so...

    -tree