DATETIME February 2013

Approximate Decades

Hannah Tarver <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:31:18 -0600

Hello, all -

I've been trying to figure out something that was mentioned tangentially
in the millisecond/fractional second discussion.

I was recently trying to format a date along the lines of "circa
1920s."  I had initially assumed from the text that I could write it
192u~.  However, I saw that the technical standards do not allow for
uncertainty in approximate dates.

So far as I can tell, that leaves "definitely some time in the 1920s"
(i.e., 192u), or "approximately a specific year in the 1920s" (e.g.,
1925~).

Is there a good way to represent approximate decades, or even
approximate centuries?  Does it require a range notation?

I did look through the archives, but was not sure where it might have
been discussed.  I would appreciate any clarification that you could
provide.

Thanks,

Hannah

--