Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: FW: [MLA-L] The Librarian and the Banjo

Malcolm Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Apr 2013 06:54:22 -1000

I thought it WAS common knowledge that the banjo is an African import.
As I recollect it goes even further back than that as the banjo is
related to certain Indian stringed instruments which migrated along
trade routes from India to east Africa, across the continent, and thus
to the US.
The first American innovation was the fifth string.
The first five string banjo was fretless and left-handed, I've seen a
picture of it. The maker made it for his daughter. Please take all this
with a grain of salt - I'm going by memory of a paper I wrote 40 years
ago so please don't ask for references! Ms. Epstein can no doubt fill in
the blanks. She will also correct me, I'm sure.
Malcolm

*******