ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: "PERIOD MUSIC GUILD" LP label

Roger Kulp <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:59:02 -0600

I have a few dozen Period records,even the famous Furtwangler/Cellibedeche one,but they are not where I can readily get to them.If don doesn't beat me first,I dig them out and get the information for you. Roger > Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 19:54:55 -0400> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "PERIOD MUSIC GUILD" LP label> To: [log in to unmask]> > Thanks Don and Michael!> > Lots of questions.....> > Given that PERIOD was formed in 1949, what DATE were their earliest releases - were> the stampers made by RCA?  Were the regular PERIOD releases well into production> from 1949 to 1953 when the first PMG disk was released ???> > What address was given for regular Period releases?> > The wording on the PMG 10" releases implies these were effectively 'samplers', but > ** I infer ** there were other releases at normal prices.  Has anyone seen ANY other> (other than PMG 2002/2/3) releases 10 or 12inch with the PERIOD MUSIC GUILD label?> > Perhaps they issued these 3 disks, got so little response they abandoned the series.> All the music on these 3 appears on other PERIOD 12" LP's - so, did the PERIOD releases> come before or after the PMG disks???> > PERIOD had a SHOWCASE series - were these "samplers"?  were they sold at a lower price?> > Thanks!> > Best wishes, Thomas.> > -----Original Message-----> From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List> [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Michael Biel> Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 3:30 PM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "PERIOD MUSIC GUILD" LP label> > > A basic guide to decoding Victor matrix prefixes was prepared by me and> published in pages 374-6 in Sherman's new edition of Collector's Guide> to Victor Records.  E3 is indeed 1953, the 4th position letter L stands> for 10" 33 1/3 fine groove, but the 3rd position D is confusing.  The> following year they started using D to mean Camden.  Usually for the> Custom work they used the letters C for Recorded by RCA, K for Tape> furnished to RCA, and Q for Lacquer furnished to RCA.  > > Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]   > > > -------- Original Message --------> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "PERIOD MUSIC GUILD" LP label> From: Donald Tait <[log in to unmask]>> Date: Tue, April 09, 2013 2:24 pm> To: [log in to unmask]> >  These are indeed RCA matrix codes. Here is partial information about> RCA's code:> >  The "E" stands for the decade in which the matrix was prepared: i.e., a> year in the 1950s (E being the fifth letter of the alphabet). The "3"> designates the year of the decade in which preparation took place: thus,> 1953. I can help less about the following matrix information; it no> doubt identifies the matrices partly as for an outside, non-RCA client,> in this case Period. Others here will know more.> >  RCA used this letter and number code to identify matrices for some time> (thus D9 represents 1949, for example), but altered it after 1954 ("E4")> and moved to later and later capital letters for each year.> >  Don Tait> >  > >  > >  > >  > > -----Original Message-----> From: Thomas Stern <[log in to unmask]>> To: ARSCLIST <[log in to unmask]>> Sent: Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:37 pm> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "PERIOD MUSIC GUILD" LP label> > > PMG 2001 has stamper numbers which look like RCA, none on 2003 except> catalog > numbers.>  E3-DL-7562-1 / E3-DL-7563-1> Anyone have the key to decoding the RCA numbers ?????> > The following is printed on the liner for 10" disks PMG 2001 and 2003.> I've not > seen 2002.>  > "THE PERIOD MUSIC GUILD>  Many musical masterpieces, old and new, though they certainly deserve> to be available on records have not reached that stage because of their> supposed limited appeal and consequent limited sale. The Period Music> Guild has been organised for the purpose of producing on records just> such music-works that regardless of their "connoisseur" standing or> novel> quality are recommended or approved by the majority of the membership.>  This record is not a regular release of The Period Music Guild. It is> offered for the nominal sum of one dollar as a sample of the high> quality> of performance and brilliance of reproduction of regular releases of> The Period Music Guild. For further information concerning membership> write to--> PERIOD MUSIC GUILD 884 Tenth Avenue New York 19, N.Y. "> > > Thanks, Thomas.> > > -----Original Message-----> From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List> [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Thomas Stern> Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:43 AM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "PERIOD MUSIC GUILD" LP label> > > Thank you Steve and Uncle Dave!> > Can someone pinpoint the release dates - I have not found reviews or> release > notices> in the few sources to which I have access. Perhaps SCHWANN would have > information, or if > you know of other issues of these recordings on PERIOD and know those> issue > dates, that would give> an upper limit to the issue date on PMG.> > BILLBOARD Dec 3, 1949 noted the start of Period:> PERIOD RECORDS Bows With Exclusive LP Policy>  A new diskery devoted exclusively to long-playing records has> set up its stand in New York. Period Records, with Frank Stevens> as general manager, will specialize in longhair works, beginning with> the release of Charles Ives' "String Quartet No.2," played by the> Walden String Quartet, of Cornell University. The next release will> be the abridged version of Tschaikowsky's opera "Eugen Onegin."> The latter disking was formerly issued on shellac by DISC Records.> Phoenix is the metropolitan distrib.> > > Online library catalogs list 1955? or 195? - I suspect they may have> been> earlier, as 10-inch albums faded.> > I've found listings of the following 3 PMG albums.> > PERIOD MUSIC GUILD PMG-2001 10" LP 1955?> Program notes by B. Lebow on container.> > CORELLI: Concerto grosso no.8 (Christmas concerto)> Vienna Chamber Orchestra; Anton Heiller, conductor.> > also in PERIOD SPL 301 Showcase>  PERIOD SPL 540 Corelli/Vivaldi> > > > PERIOD MUSIC GUILD PMG-2002 10" LP 1950?> "Exclusive edition"> notes by B. Lebow on container.> > CHOPIN: Concerto no.1 in E minor, op. 11> Branka Musulin, piano; > Sueddeutsches Rundfunk Symphonie Orchester; Hans Muller-Kray, conductor.> > > > PERIOD MUSIC GUILD PMG 2003 10" LP 195- ?> Program notes in English on container.> > PROKOFIEFF: Overture on Hebrew themes, op. 34>  Paris Chamber Orchestra> SCHUBERT: Quartetsatz in C minor>  Barchet String Quartet.> > > ANY OTHERS ???> THANKS!> Best wishes, Thomas.> > > -----Original Message-----> From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List> [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Steve Smolian> Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:08 PM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "PERIOD MUSIC GUILD" LP label> > > Period Music Guild was a Period mail order operation- however brief. The> > others are unconnected to it.> > Steve Smolian> > -----Original Message----- > From: Thomas Stern> Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:24 PM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: [ARSCLIST] "PERIOD MUSIC GUILD" LP label> > Just noticed a couple of 10" LP releases on the PERIOD MUSIC GUILD label> > (PMG 2001, PMG 2003)> Trade mark as for PERIOD RECORDS.> > There is also a MUSIC GUILD label, later issues from ABC records.> > Is there any connection between the two labels (e.g. did Music Guild > spin-off from Period, or ...) ???> > How long did the PERIOD series last ???? Did Period evolve from Period > Music Guild ????> > Any information appreciated!> > Thanks, Thomas.