ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: Record Store Day

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Apr 2013 06:44:09 -0400

Definitely agree that RSD is set up to benefit the record companies more than the stores. I'm lucky
because the store I frequent is tucked away in suburbia but the guy is long-established so he can
(usually) get the items his customers are likely to want. The store doesn't get crowded with smelly
hipsters and other annoying trend-followers, the small line in front is always polite middle-aged
dudes. So I fit right in! There's always a concentrated, focused grab at the RSD item racks, but
people stay in line and cooperate with passing stuff forward and back based on barked out requests.
My friend reported the opposite in Rochester -- large crowd of college-aged hipsters pushing and
shoving toward open tables, with the owner's wife gamely trying to keep order. It never got overly
nasty due to the store personnel's high spirits, he said.

There seem to be two distinct kinds of customers in the vinyl niche. One group gravitates toward the
reissues made with care from high quality source material and pressed on heavy vinyl at good plants.
These folks also like 45RPM double-LP sets retailing for $50 or more. I would say that this
demographic tends to be middle-aged men with high-quality audio gear and on the higher end of
wealth, they are willing to pay extra for perceived high quality. I will sometimes dip into this
market, but the reissue LP has to be vastly superior, sound-wise, to anything else I can buy. There
are very few examples of this, in my opinion based on much listening and comparing over the years.

The other vinyl customer is the hipster kid, stereotypically based in Brooklyn or on a college
campus, and perhaps wearing a porkpie hat. He's the customer for vinyl issues of the latest music,
with a download code slip inside the wrapper. These records tend to retail for $20 or less, tend to
be cut from the exact same digital master as the CD, tend to sound just like the CD, and tend to be
pressed with less care (based on the few examples I've seen and heard -- I'm not a big fan of too
much recent rock or pop). United pressing in TN seems to do a lot of work in this area, and they are
notorious among the audiophile crowd for lousy vinyl and slack QC. In this market, my one weakness
is Daptone modern-retro soul albums -- I like the artwork and the "vibe" of the LP so much that I
usually crank out the extra 2 bucks or so for a vinyl record and a download code. The vinyl tends to
sound equally gritty to the CDs I've heard, so I assume it's all cut from the same master.

One old marketing trick that I'm surprised hasn't been revisited more often in the vinyl niche is
the bonus track. That was the original selling trick for duped cassettes and it carried over in
spades to CD since there was potentially 30 extra minutes to fill. With the new-issue LPs, bands
could (but rarely do) throw in a bonus 45 or fill out a double-LP with extra tracks. Sometimes you
do see lamer stuff like "celebrity remixes" on a 4th side of a 2LP.

Rough Guide had a good idea with including whole bonus albums in the download codes with their RSD
LPs. So you buy "Psychedelic Brazil" and get a download of that whole album plus a bonus album by
Jupiter Maca, a deeper dive into that style of music. A young band could put out vinyl of their
album and, for the extra few bucks, offer as part of the download card something like live tracks or
early demo recordings not on the CD.

-- Tom Fine