ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: Porgy and Bess

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Apr 2013 10:36:03 -0400

There's yet another source for "original cast" excerpts from Porgy and
Bess, the George Gershwin Memorial Concert held at the Hollywood Bowl
9-8-1937.
Issued by North American Classics NAC 4001 in a restoration by David
Lennick and Graham Newton. Although "Summertime" is given to Lily Pons, Todd
Duncan, Anne Brown and the Hall Johnson Choir from the original production
handle the remaining excerpts. The airshot is particularly valuable for its
inclusion of Elzy, who died in 1943.

UD
Lebanon, OH