ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: revisiting an old thread -- jazz anthologies

"Randy A. Riddle" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Apr 2013 19:50:25 -0400

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Empire of the Air".

The rise of radio broadcasting could be a fascinating subject for a
documentary, but that one really misses the mark.  It's based on a book
that focuses on Sarnoff and Armstrong.  With just a focus around a narrow
area, I found it rather dull and lifeless.  And his use of broadcast
recordings during the wrong time periods really grated on my nerves.

There's not really been a good documentary made about this period and would
be fertile ground for PBS to cover in a multi-part series.  The early days
and rise of the networks in the 20s and 30s is quite similar to the
Internet boom and bust.  There's the development of radio programming
genres and radio drama as an art form, the role that radio played in the
War, and how radio changed and was eclipsed by television after the War.

The licensing for the recordings, images, and film footage would likely
give a whole team of clearance staff ulcers I'm sure.

Burns came to fame in the 70s with a feature length documentary about Huey
Long.  I believe he was the first filmmaker awarded a prize by the American
Historical Association for it.  At the time, this style was very different,
with a concentration on primary sources, sparse narration, and, most of
all, producing a work on history that went beyond reporting facts to
interpreting events and putting them in a larger context.

Burns does have a tendency, especially with his Civil War series and
afterwards, to sentimentalize.  I started looking at him as the Frank Capra
of documentary filmmakers after seeing "The Civil War".

Randy