ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: neat project - Dobells

Thomas Stern <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Apr 2013 17:08:37 -0400

In the 1950's I purchased recordings from England from a company known as AGATE & Co. - I think they
were part of Dobell's.  IIRC, because Agate had an export license they could ship recordings out of the UK.
Can any confirm this recollection?

In the 1980's I spent a couple of years in England and visited many of the London shops.  Dobell's was a frequent
destination, but there were a couple of other shops - don't remember the names at the moment of a couple which sold
Jazz and blues, one that sold Shows, for classical and vocal Caruso & Company.

The company I worked for had an office in Richmond - there was an excellent shop there which sold instruments, but also had an excellent record department - Potter's Music.

What makes a great record shop?
They have the recordings one is looking for (thus great to me may be of no interest to someone else), and a
knowledgeable and helpful staff who see what your interests are and will guide you to things you do not know about.
The Discophile on 8th St.(just off MacDougal St.) in NYC fit that definition.

Best wishes, Thomas.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Steven Smolian
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 1:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] neat project

There is a book, "Record Store Days," a fairly recent c. 2005 publication, that discusses many US shops. Though concentrated on various alternative pop locations, it covers lots of other ground.  Some of its history is fuzzy (Vogues were the first picture records???) but there is a chapter on hit records and how changes in the way the Billboard charts were compiled affected the industry,  a chapter on Record Store Day, many reminiscences, some terrific photos, etc.  It's informal, good-natured for the most part and a pleasant read.  Look elsewhere for accurate history.  I bought mine on-line for about $ 4.00.

Steve Smolian