ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: another old thread -- Grateful Dead shows

Malcolm Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Apr 2013 15:56:34 -1000

One of the bands I was in played with the Dead on a number of gigs in
the mid 60s. Since we were both Haight based acts we knew each other
(actually it was a small, music based community then). I was more
interested in listening to them as their recording chops got better and
better as the years went on. In the 70s I lived on Brady Street where
His Master's Wheels (their recording studio) was. Burt (?) Furman, of
power supply & EQs fame, had his start-up 2-man shop in the same place.
I never came to appreciate the Dead's live stuff that much. I knew Mr.
Pen (Pig, that is) fairly well and he let me sit in on his electric
piano with the rest of the group at the Human Be-In in Golden Gate Park.
In those days I was more known for my banjo work than my piano picking.
I think they were pleasantly surprised!
Malcolm

*******