ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: old thread -- War of the Worlds

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:06:50 -0400

I think I captured those web pages. Did that website also contain a listing of the Campbell's Soup
Hour broadcasts with many of the same people?

Mercury Theatre On The Air is my favorite fiction OTR series. I've managed to collect up most of the
episodes in decent audio quality. "War of the Worlds" was better than the best interwebs hoax. I
don't think there is any single medium or program today that could trigger such a widespread
freakout out of total fiction.

Regarding Lou Judson's post, of course the current AT&T isn't the old monopoly. However, what is now
AT&T (mostly made of what was Southern Bell/Bell South) retained the old AT&T archives. And, they
were historically-minded enough to put a lot of those films online. Rather than rant about how much
we miss the monopoly (I for one do not, not one bit), I prefer to celebrate the fact that historical
films are now much more widely available than they ever were in the "grand old times" of the
monopoly.

BTW, do some digging around that website. Many, many interesting films about telephony and the old
monopoly Bell System's inner workings. The current AT&T is doing a much better job making historical
information available to the public than the shell of what was once Western Electric, now called
Alcatel Lucent, which retained what had been Bell Labs. To their credit, they have made more Bell
System Technical Journal material available than in the days when Lucent had a functioning Bell
Labs, before it merged with a dying French telecom company. I'm sure Mark D. has already tapped out
the BSTJ, but they had detailed articles about the 3-channel stereophony over phone lines
experiments. Klipsch reprinted those articles in the 60s, making them available to a new generation
of engineers. The Bell Labs guys figured out many things about acoustics, stereophony and high
fidelity audio many decades ago, and it's all worth frequent re-introduction so as to avoid
re-invention of the proverbial wheel.

-- Tom Fine