ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: old thread -- War of the Worlds

Randy Watts <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:06:34 -0700

Trying to find old radio broadcasts like these in decent condition is a pretty good trick these days. I'm convinced most old radio shows on the web originate from twenty-five year old cassettes that were high-speed duplicated on cheap tape and were generally a dozen generations removed from the original. These cassettes are transferred into a computer using an old Radio Shack dubbing deck and "restored" by guys who figure that if a little hiss reduction is good, then lots and lots of it is even better. The final result is then compressed to the lowest bit rate MP3 possible and posted online. And if the results are nearly unlistenable, well, one website once made the claim that it was old radio. It wasn't supposed to sound good.

Randy