ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: Terrific 1970 Interview with Stokowski

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:20:01 -0400

Hi Dennis:

Agree about including some Blumlein, but the BBC has actually done a pretty good job with that
history. There's a cult-fetish "argument" about one or the other being "first." From what I can
tell, independent developments took place on two sides of an ocean without the developers talking to
each other or reading each others' literature. Bell Labs made actual 2-channel grooved recordings
first, according to all facts I've been able to uncover. The so-called "Accidental Stereo" stuff
from EMI and Duke Ellington might be an interesting aside, too, as a way to demonstrate how two mics
offer two different perspectives, whether sent to two recorded grooves or one recorded groove.

I made a "roots of stereophony" audio CD and CDR with documentation for a few friends. I started
with Bell Labs, then Blumlein, then the German stereo tape recordings during WWII, then Emery Cook
(as an example of actual commercially-released early stereo), and Bert Whyte (as an example stereo
experimentation circa 1952). Then RCA, Mercury, Teldec and Decca stereo firsts. There were other
small-time players very early to the party with stereo tapes in the mid-50's. A good place to hear
examples is Ampex's stereo demo tape that came with A and 900 series home machines. There was also a
quarter-track version of the same tape, which probably came with 1200 series machines. There was an
earlier Ampex stereo demo tape, but it included all or almost all exclusively RCA recording
snippets; that tape shipped with the 2-track play-only machine built around the 600 series
transport.

-- Tom Fine