ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: grease pencil removal

Malcolm Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Apr 2013 06:35:39 -1000

The simpler, the better.
My best success has been with a dry, soft cloth. That's all. That will
get it off smooth shellac but doesn't always work on labels. The dye
sometimes transfers to the paper and only the outer layer of grease
pencil will be removed - there can be some residual marks.
I have heard recently, though, that auto body men use a little - I kid
you not - forehead grease first and then the soft cloth. Seemingly it
works with newly painted surfaces as well as metal that's been prepped.
Rub your forehead with a finger and use that on the grease pencil mark
then rub with the cloth. I'm not sure this has been tried on old old,
dried up pencil marks, though. They use the pencils to mark for cutting,
lining up separate parts, etc.
I don't see why a little olive oil wouldn't work instead, though. Just
be very sparing.
Malcolm

*******