Re: Edison "tuning" disc ?

David Breneman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:27:18 -0700

 From: Jamie Howarth <[log in to unmask]>

> If it would be of any help to hear it or measure it without wow, or simply to
> get a sense of the w&f profiles of the recorder and reproducer let me know,
> we'd be happy to do so purely for edification, similar to the Leon Scott
> Phonoautogram work.

It would be interesting to see what the waveform looks like. That
night indicate whether it was recorded acoustically or directly
from an electromagnetic transducer.  At one point didn't Edison
dabble with using phonograph recordings as telephone repeaters
to solve the "Denver problem?"  Of course, that solution eliminated
the possibility of a real-time conversation, so it never went
anywhere, but it would have left Edison with the equipment
necessary to directly record an electrically-produced audio tone.