ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: LP packaging question

Donald Tait <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:49:46 -0400

  Telefunkens, also part of the Decca group, were packaged this way too in the 1950s, at least in the USA. Both 12" and 10" LPs in boxes. I have checked a number of them and find no independent text insert. But then it wasn't needed because the backs of the LP jackets have program notes.

  A couple of my Telefunkens have the enclosed LP sleeves in very heavy clear plastic sleeves.

  Don Tait

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Smolian <[log in to unmask]>
To: ARSCLIST <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Apr 23, 2013 4:07 am
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] LP packaging question

All I've seen are imports in more fragile, thinner covers than we used in
the U.S. but were standard abroad.  Most are from the London import group-
L'Oiseau-Lyre, Ducretet-Thompson, etc.  These were specialty items, imported
in smaller numbers and tended to get lost on the shelves.  The box increased
visibility and provided a printed spine which the records otherwise lacked
but which U.S. records had by the time these were brought in, c. 1957?
Offhand, I can't think of any that were in stereo in these boxes.

Steve Smolian