ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: Processing new LPS for Record Store Day

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:40:26 -0400

Many reissue LPs are made from digital files. In the better-sounding cases, the transfer is recent,
well-done and high resolution digital. However, I can say from first-hand experience that well-made
CD-resolution masters can be used to make exceptional-sounding LPs. Those who blindly hate all
things digital will never agree with me on that ("it's just an LP of a CD" -- one of the dumber
mantras out of that crowd). Those willing to listen with an open mind may be very pleasantly
surprised.

That said, there have been some very good-sounding recent LP reissues made all analog. I surmise
that in those cases, the tapes were in superb condition. Most old tapes in the vaults are not in
superb condition anymore, so transfer and cleanup/editing in the digital realm is needed and
appropriate when done with taste and care.

-- Tom Fine