ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: Single LP box sets

Donald Tait <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:23:58 -0400

  Just in the spirit of sharing. Isn't it fun?

  Don Tait

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Burnham <[log in to unmask]>
To: ARSCLIST <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Fri, Apr 26, 2013 2:20 pm
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Single LP box sets

Well you've certainly trumped my little list!

db

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-04-26, at 2:45 PM, Donald Tait <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   Yes, but the RCA Victor first recording of Amahl (LM-1701) came with a text
booklet. Thus the box for the single record.

>  Similar RCA Victor single LPs in boxes with enclosed printed texts included
LCT-1033 (Die Walkure Act I -- Lehmann, Melchior, Bruno Walter etc.); LM-1217
(Treasury of Harpsichord Music -- Landowska, later repackaged in a single
standard cardboard sleeve with booklet); LM-1802 ("An Adventure in High
Fidelity"); LM-1849 (Verdi: Te Deum, Boito: Mefistofele Prologue -- Toscanini);
LM-1862 (Romberg: "Deep in My Heart, Dear" -- Romberg, cond.); and LM-1944
(Busoni: Arlecchino -- Glyndebourne Festival). So was LHMV-1007 (Purcell: Dido
and Aeneas -- Flagstad et. al.). There were also the entire issued titles in
LHMV-1 through -32, single LPs in boxes with text inserts and, in many cases,
art reproductions.

>  Also, the single Capitol LPs issued in boxes contained text booklets. That
included "The Orchestra" and other Stokowski titles.

>  The point of the original inquiry about this, if I recall correctly,
concerned the Telefunken, Ducretet-Thomson, London International etc. LPs issued
in the USA in single boxes that contained nothing but the record in its regular
heavy paper sleeve. No printed texts.