ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: Odd WCBS tape

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Apr 2013 10:14:03 -0700

----- Original Message ----
From: "Gray, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, March 31, 2013 9:06:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Odd WCBS tape

The tape appears to be songs from an aborted LB 1955 musical based on the
Thornton Wilder play of the same title ....

Anyone else think this might be the case?

*******************

I passed the question along to a friend of mine who has conducted a bunch of
Bernstein works and knows his music quite well.

Of course the question is...can we get a copy of the entire tape!

Karl

"I believe this is Leonard Bernstein playing a part of a song intended for "Skin
Of Our Teeth" and the "SS" in question is Stephen Sondheim.  Bernstein re-used
parts of the abandoned "Skin" in other pieces, and the bass ostinato 7/8 pattern
is very similar to a passage in his "Mass"  from movement 9: Gospel-Sermon: "God
Said."  About halfway through the song a 7/8 passage starts with five verses
starting with the chorus repeating the phrase "And it was good, and it was
good..."  The bass ostinato is basically the same as the excerpt posted.

Furthermore....

The first act of Thornton Wilder's "Skin of Our Teeth"  takes place during an
impending ice age, in the second act the family circumstances have changed as
George becomes president of the Fraternal Order of Mammals.  One of the main
characters is Lilly Sabina, so if you check out the writing on the paper
included in the tape box:

Act I -The Colder Day of the Year -Telegram! -The Whole Crooked Family -It's
Cold
Act II -The Ancient Ordering Mermaids (?) -? (looks like "Kedel") -Sabrina
-Evening (?)....

I think we have a match!!
Peter