ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

revisiting an old thread -- jazz anthologies

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Apr 2013 12:12:58 -0400

Just a quick revisit to this thread. Originally, Shai had asked about good introductory material to
jazz, I think for his and his children's edification. I had summarized various anthology and
anthology reissue series.

Upon further listening, I would recommend starting in two places.

The revised Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz, which was the first edition issued on CD and was
originally issued on LP and cassette in 1983, is still a very good way to look into the music. It
was the selection, documentation and judgement calls of Martin Williams, not a project by committee
of many academics and experts like the current Smithsonian Anthology. I like the idea of one man
(Williams, who was an expert), sharing his insights and opinions. His selections of artists and
songs was meant to shed light on various key styles and tunes as much as to spotlight what he
considered seminal artists. The book is informative and accessible. You can find used copies of the
CDs and LPs all over the world, never at too dear a price.

I also really like the Riverside anthology, for the same reason I like the old Smithsonian
Collection -- it's the specific scholarship, insights and taste of individuals, in the case of
Riverside, Orin Keepnews and Bill Grauer. A futher element in the Riverside anthology is the fact
that they didn't have license to any Columbia or Victor labels, so they were mining different veins,
mainly Paramount and Gennett. You get to go down alleys and sideroads in the history that aren't
explored in the Smithsonian Collection. I also like the Riverside documentation, but the reprint
provided in the CD book is unreadable due to tiny, tiny text. If you have access to a scanner of
copier, blow up the CD pages 400% and then it's OK to read the interesting and informative text
without going blind.

My beef with the Ken Burns Jazz 4-CD set and the new Smithsonian anthology is that they seem to be
focused on political correctness or maybe trying to be everything to everyone, so they don't take
any strong points of view and offer too much of a surface-skim of _every_ artist deemed
"significant", bowing to what is modern academic consensus at every turn.

I have a two general beefs with all of these anthologies. First is the outright dismissal of the
1940s and early 50s traditional or "hot" jazz revival movement. I suspect there's a whiff of racial
politics going on here because the revivalists were almost all young white guys and they were
reviving a style of music and catalog of tunes originated almost exclusively by black folks. My case
for including mention of the revivalists and a few cuts of their work is that the Swing era and then
the rise of R&B and rock and roll had obscured the old jazz so much that it was being forgotten by
the 1940s. The revivalists created the demand that caused Columbia and Victor to reissue the early
jazz sides in those late 78 era and early LP era collections. The "re-discovery" of the original
jazz music led to an ingrained respect for it that has survived to this day. The Riverside anthology
touches on this, and indeed Riverside was formed by two hardcore revivalists and collectors.

The other beef I have, stated previously, is that none of these anthologies seem to understand what
happened in the 60s and early 70s outside of cloistered music-nut circles and academia. The "free
jazz" stuff should be touched on (maybe represented by a song or two), but what caught on and stuck
with the public is completely ignored -- the funkier kind of jazz that morphed into acid-jazz and
then early fusion. Why aren't Cannonball Adderley, Ramsey Lewis, Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Groove
Holmes and the other acid jazz guys (and a few gals) better represented on any of these anthologies?
For that matter, why isn't Blue Note and Prestige style "hard bop" better represented, especially
given the stature that music has gained over time? My theory is that the anthology tune-pickers were
in the cloistered music-nut circles listening to "free jazz" over and over in their dark dorm rooms,
while the wider public which was overwhelmingly enjoying the acid jazz and soul-jazz artists night
after night in the clubs.

The new Smithsonian anthology does a fair job with fusion jazz, grabbing up what you'd expect from
the Sony vaults (Mahavishnu, Weather Report, "Head Hunters," "Bitches Brew") but doesn't look too
much further. There is also too much material from recent-vintage musicians doing absolutely nothing
original, just "keeping the flame." As much as I hate to mention it, the "smooth jazz" guys were by
far the most successful acts considered of the jazz genre over the past 20 years, and they are not
represented at all. I personally don't like "smooth jazz" at all, but it's a modern outgrowth of
jazz music, it was new and different when it started happening and it should be included in a jazz
anthology, given its success in the cultural marketplace (probably one Kenny G or David Sanborn
album sold more than everything by the late-era jazzmen included in the Smithsonian anthology;
popularity alone doesn't determine an artist's worth but it should count for something).

-- Tom Fine