ARSCLIST  April 2013

ARSCLIST April 2013

Re: revisiting an old thread -- jazz anthologies

Cary Ginell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Apr 2013 13:01:42 -0700

Shortly after the program was broadcast, I attended an 80th birthday party for Snooky Young and got to meet and chat briefly with Benny Carter. I brought up Ken Burns' production and Carter said he was very upset with it. I asked him if he had been interviewed for the documentary and he confirmed that, yes, he had. When I asked him why none of his footage was used, he said, "I guess I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear." That summed up the whole thing for me.

Cary Ginell