BIBFRAME May 2013

Re: Holds and ILL with Bibframe

"Trail, Nate" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 May 2013 17:16:17 -0400

I don't see any complication. The thing being checked out is never the Instance anyway; it's the copy or holding, mixed in with some algorithms about who can check out and how. The system will have to do some work getting from your title to the actual copy; it'll have to do similar work in the new environment.

We have no bf:Expression in the sense of a different data structure; but we will have bf:Work with properties that make it useable as a FRBR:Expression, such as the language. It will be a related work with a property such as "hasTranslation" linking the two. A request for Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn in Finnish would probably miss the Huck Finn in English because the language would only be on the bf:Work "Huck Finn. Finnish." [made up]

I'm working on a couple of examples of translations we can show, from our catalog.

Nate

Nate Trail
LS/TECH/NDMSO
Library of Congress
202-707-2193

-----Original Message-----
From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of J. McRee Elrod
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Holds and ILL with Bibframe

Laura said:

>... a user can still request a resource at the Expression level ...

How may one request at the Expression level, since Bibframe has no Expression level records*? Some Work level records are actually
Expressions I understand, e.g., a translation? But wouldn't ILL or
hold requests with Bibframe have to be made using the Work or Instance record?

I agree that Instance records based on binding is not only a major departure from long standing practice, but a complication for holds and ILL requests.

*I'm continuing t use "record" util there is an agreed upon alternative.

   __ __ J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([log in to unmask])
  {__ | / Special Libraries Cataloguing HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/