BIBFRAME May 2013

Re: Bibframe/MARC crosswalk?

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 May 2013 08:01:17 -0700

Mac,

I'm assuming that there will be programs available, just as now there
are programs for converting from MARC21 to MARCXML. What I am less
confident about is whether these programs, built for LC's records, will
give the desired results for other libraries. There is a huge difference
between a single library with a fairly coherent set of practices [*] and
the variety of actual data in the range of libraries that you work with.
What would be great would be the establishment of an open source
repository where people who make modifications or write their own
programs could make those programs available for others. It may be
easier to adapt a program that has worked for, say, multi-lingual
catalogs than to begin with a program designed for a library with only
one language of cataloging.

kc
[*] I was struck by a remark of Kevin's about the ISBNs that they have
found the when there are multiples, the first is for the hardback. I can
very much imagine that being the case in LC's catalog, given their
purchase and work-flow, but as you know, 1) not all systems keep the
fields in order 2) not all libraries purchase the hardback before the
trade paperback. So that's an example of something that LC can rely on
for their data that may not generalize to other libraries.

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net