BIBFRAME May 2013

Re: BIBFRAME annotation

"J. McRee Elrod" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 May 2013 10:50:47 -0700

Stephen Hearn said:

"If by "description" we mean what in the past was called "summary",,,

One of the major problems I have with these discussions is the use of
words with meanings different from the traditional ones. For me.
"description" means (in MARC terms) the 1XX-4XX fields, which are
largely transcribed. While the abstract or summary may "describe" the
content", 520 is not what cataloguers have understood that word to
mean. Current discussions are full of words used is ways different
from the accustomed usage.

Another difficulty is the frequent use of initialisms, without
spelling them out at first use, e.g. "OA".

   __ __ J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([log in to unmask])
  {__ | / Special Libraries Cataloguing HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/

7