BIBFRAME May 2013

Re: http://bibframe.org/documentation/bibframe-authority/ and the "lightweight abstraction layer"

"Young,Jeff (OR)" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 May 2013 09:57:01 -0400

Stuart,

Note that the VIAF URI you refer to does NOT identify the U.S. Constitution. The presence/absence of the trailing slash is significant:

<http://viaf.org/viaf/179020116>
	# a FRBR Work
	foaf:name "United States. | Constitution" ;
	#..
	.

<http://viaf.org/viaf/179020116/>
	a foaf:Document ;
	foaf:primaryTopic <http://viaf.org/viaf/179020116> ;
	#...
	.

(Note the trailing slash on the latter.)

The former URI (without the trailing slash) identifies the Constitution itself (as a FRBR Work). The latter URI (with the trailing slash) identifies VIAF's *description* of the Constitution. These are two different things that VIAF connects in two ways:

1) by a 303 redirect at the HTTP protocol level from the former to the latter as per: http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303gendocument
2) a foaf:primaryTopic relationship inside the data itself.

VIAF also identifies various FRBR Expressions of this Work, but these relationships aren't currently represented in the RDF.

In contrast, the resource located at http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html should map to a FRBR Item.

I realize that BIBFRAME is trying to avoid FRBR, but hopefully it doesn't do so by conflating the identity of these different entities. IMO, the "lightweight abstraction layer needed to express the differences" already exists. It's called owl:ObjectProperty.

Jeff