BIBFRAME May 2013

Re: Holds and ILL with Bibframe

"Ford, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 May 2013 13:25:31 -0400

text/plain

Dear Stephen,

> Will it be possible to use a BIBFRAME authority to link a BIBFRAME Work
> describing a FRBR Work to a BIBFRAME Work description of a FRBR
> Expression?
-- I think - think - you are refering to title and name/title authorities (my assumption is also based on your next sentence).  If that is correct, in our experimentation, we've been treating title and name/title authorities as BIBFRAME Works, not as BIBFRAME Authorities.  We create a direct link between two BIBFRAME Works in this case, one which might be the FRBR Work and the other the FRBR Expression.  As you presented it now, I would expect direct links between BIBFRAME Works to associate FRBR Work and FRBR Expression resources without recourse to a BIBFRAME Authority.  Now, if I haven't understood the issue, can you please try again?

> "Stand alone" is a complex concept in webbed environment. Can we say
> that a description "stands alone" if a comparable static description
> can be harvested from the webbed description including the things it
> links to (e.g., BIBFRAME Authorities)?
-- Fair enough.  I oversimplified.

Naturally, for example, there would like be links pointing to URIs for BIBFRAME Authority resources for people, such as creators, translators, etc, involved in the creation of a Work.  One would have to follow the link to learn what those URIs mean and that's not quite "standalone."  What I was refering to was the idea that the BIBFRAME Work representing the FRBR Expression would actually include a reference to the Work's creator (in addition to and not just its translator) and it would include the Work's "formal" title, all without having to follow a relationship to a separate BIBFRAME Work.  I don't know if that offers sufficient clarification.  Again, we're still seeing where the data goes before settling on a best practice.

Yours,
Kevin