BIBFRAME May 2013

Re: Authorities: updating

"Ford, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 May 2013 16:01:33 -0400

> I do think that BIBFRAME should have a way to keep together an external
> authority identifier and the local display forms.
-- I don't know if I understand your point correctly, but, to me, the BIBFRAME Authority as a lightweight abstraction layer meets this need quite nicely.  It is a resource that provides a means to store local display forms and link to an external authority.

> I'm still not sure
> when it makes sense to link from the local BIBFRAME "authority" and
> other external authorities (VIAF, or national libraries in other
> countries).
-- As you surmise, ideally "national and other shared authority files would link to each other" and one could just follow the links.  But there may also be times when someone finds a source of information about a Person that may not be available via one of the links of an authority file.  So, for example (and this is off the top of my head), perhaps a German library uses the GND for its authority control for the form of a name, but then finds an alternate source for more detailed information about the Person (that is not linked to from the GND or VIAF).  That library could then link its BIBFRAME Authority resource for that Person to this additional source in order to include information from that source in its display.

Cordially,
Kevin