Help for PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  June 2013

PCCLIST June 2013

Re: Addresses as geographic qualifiers for corporate names

john g marr <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Jun 2013 16:05:07 -0600

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013, Chris Baer wrote:

> Except that such assumptions are often unwarranted. As
> non-profit/educational corporation incorporated in Pennsylvania, there
> can only be one such exact-named body in the state at a given time.

  It's really not necessary to defend the use of a general qualifier. We
have always understood that one should use the simplest qualifier that is
sufficient to identify or differentiate a body (e.g. "Pa."). One changes
it to something more specific if it becomes necessary, not the other way
around.

jgm

  John G. Marr
  Cataloger
  CDS, UL
  Univ. of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.