ARSCLIST  July 2013

ARSCLIST July 2013

Re: Conservation question: oxide delamination and consolidation

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jul 2013 06:34:15 -0400

Hi Greg:

Given what I know about Alaska's climate (far from complete and just second-hand accounts) and given
what I know about magnetic media (also far from comprehensive), I'd say your first order of business
needs to be getting those tapes into a climate-controlled environment, and getting rid of any moldy
or wet boxing around the tapes. My bet is that most if not all have suffered some sort of
deterioration given the length of time they were left "to the elements" in a climate of highly
variable humidity and temperature.

I'm assuming funds are limited, or they would have been stored under better conditions. So the next
order of business is prioritize your transfer process. What are the most important tapes,
historically or culturally or whatever your criteria? Do them first. Worry about the least important
tapes last, understanding they might well continue to deteriorate and waste away and thus never get
transferred.

Oxide delamination is bad. I'm not sure what can be done about it. I hope some experts chime in,
because I've seen it happen with old acetate-backed audio tapes if they are stored in too-dry
conditions. I've also seen it happen with Scotch 206 (early back-coated) tapes that were stored in a
hot attic for a couple of decades. On an audio tape machine, there is not much to do when oxide
starts falling off. Just hope it falls off AFTER the play head!

-- Tom Fine