Re: Audio workstation recommendations?

Roderic G Stephens <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jul 2013 14:50:14 -0700

I'm sure a Mac is a great machine, but us old guys have the need of an older machine that will have the older slots and drivers to run our older well-loved software and hardware.

________________________________
 From: Arthur Gaer <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio workstation recommendations?

As with Macs there is virtualization software that will run XP on linux.  VMWare has a couple of offerings.  VirtualBox is free (but it's harder to set up and likely to be dropped at any time by Oracle, which isn't really in the business of giving away free software).  I think there are some other offerings as well.

But what I said about virtual XP under Macs is just as true on Linux: I wouldn't count on using WinXP within a Linux virtual machine as a reliable way to do high quality audio and other real time sorts of operations.  There's just way too much going on between that older OS and its virtual access to the actual Linux controlled hardware to depend on that working to professional standards.  Though for less hardware dependent and real time applications, like MS Office, etc it seems to work just fine.

Also, unless you really want to become a Unix/Linux geek--which I've been for a couple of decades--I'd stay away from desktop Linux.  Talk about having to learn something new, different and complicated… and without any commercial level support when you run into problems.

If you really want to be using a desktop Unix with a high quality support network and lots of commercial applications, go with a Mac.  You'll be much happier and far less frustrated… and you'll have a fully certified Unix system running underneath that fancy GUI if you ever really want to access it, which likely you never will.

Arthur