ARSCLIST  July 2013

ARSCLIST July 2013

Re: CBS News on LOC efforts to preserve video history

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:06:20 -0400

Whatever, I think that's the job of those wanting the taxpayer to preserve their productions. Give
it to the LOC with a blanket release, with the known intent to be wide, no-cost distribution via the
LOC's website at the earliest possible time. Otherwise, it's just a boondoggle where the taxpayers
are bearing the cost and getting zero benefit. It gets worse than that. What about the LOC's own
in-house recordings of poetry and music, made in their own auditorium? Where are those sounds?
Locked away, for the most part. They should be online, available to all Americans. And, LOC-produced
anthologies should never be out of print (and I really think that you shouldn't have to pay for a
copy if you actually pay income taxes).

-- Tom Fine