ARSCLIST  July 2013

ARSCLIST July 2013

Re: Folk Music in America

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jul 2013 12:17:03 -0400

I think you guys are over-simplifying this somewhat.

Libraries have limited funding and limited space. Local libraries MUST serve the local tastes or
they will be de-funded. I am actually quite happy to see the local Bedford Hills library not spend a
lot of money acquiring the same books and movies that many other libraries in the Westchester
Library System have acquired. Rather, they spend their resources picking and choosing interesting
titles that get circulated widely. They did indeed get rid of all or most of their book-on-tape on
cassettes because patrons weren't checking them out (what car comes with a cassette player
anymore?). Cassettes and LP media are not mainstream anymore. A public library should be serving the
majority of community members. It doesn't bother me when they get rid of essentially dead media to
free up shelf space. And, like Mike, I've benefitted from the $1 castoffs sometimes (in the case of
LP records, as long as they didn't circulate much -- one trip around a Garrard Record-Wrecker and no
sane person would want to spin the platter again).

Regarding the notion of "public good" -- this is usually ill-conceived and paternalistic from the
get-go. I prefer letting "markets" decide -- ie the public will ask their libraries to keep what
they want to read, watch, listen to, etc, or they will contain to the town fathers controlling the
purse strings. Given that the public's taxes are supporting said library, their tastes are what
should rule the roost, not some Taste From On High (with High usually being committees in academia
receiving sweetheart tax-fund deals).

Within some of our lifetimes, I think the whole notion of physical libraries in buildings will be a
thing of the paste except for a few well-funded archives. It's coming to where everything that
nearly everyone will want or need as far as information and media will be accessible online.
Copyright laws definitely need to be loosened, but the borderless nature of the internet is taking
care of this on its own. Rather than paying taxes to support a library, a person will pay a
subscription fee to access massive collections of sounds, words, pictures and movies, which they can
then tailor completely to their own tastes and wants and curiosities. I'm not saying it's "better"
or "worse" than how it works right now, but I am saying that it's inevitable.

-- Tom Fine