ARSCLIST  July 2013

ARSCLIST July 2013

Re: Conservation question: oxide delamination and consolidation

lists <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:25:05 -0400

Greg:

Tape delamination is a very difficult problem to deal with but a number of
possible solutions have been tried (with varied success).

Delamination can be associated with binder hydrolysis but may also be caused
by other issues.  Under certain circumstances, hydrolysis residue on the
surface of a tape can cause sufficient inter-wrap adhesion to cause the
layers to delaminate.

Another possible cause, however, is repeated exposure to wide variations in
temperature and humidity where the slight difference in the expansion and
contraction of the layers might cause delamination.  Since the primary
vector of expansion and contraction in polyester-base magnetic tape is
thickness, wide temperature/humidity variations will cause the tape pack to
tighten and loosen.  This repeated tension and loosening of the tape could
easily cause delamination.

If your tapes appear to be delaminating, it is important to get them into a
stable environment.  As to how you might treat them, this is dependent on
the delamination mechanism.  Are the tapes delaminating due to adhesion
between tape wraps or are they delaminating without inter-wrap adhesion.  If
the cause is adhesion, incubation or baking could help.  If there is no
inter-wrap adhesion, you have a more difficult problem.

If the chemical bonds between the various layers of the tape have "failed",
regular baking techniques (in our testing) have not been effective and, in
some circumstances, have aggravated the problem.  Rather than "baking", cold
desiccation has sometimes proven effective.  To do this requires you isolate
the tapes in a fairly cold and stable environment (refrigerate, do not
freeze).  The environment must also have a very low humidity (30% RH or
less).  Delaminated 2" tapes left in this environment over a period of 3 to
6 months have shown partial re-attachment of the layers that had previously
delaminated.  The re-attachment has been sufficient that about 60+% of the
tapes tested were able to be played.  The process does not always work.

The reason and mechanism behind the "re-lamination" is a little too complex
to get into here but we have used this process on over a hundred 2" tapes
with around a 70% success- obviously not perfect, but a lot better than
having flakes (or even sheets) of recording layer fall off the tape during
playback.

We have another method we have used that has had a 100% success rate but we
only used it on two tapes so the sample is too small to be meaningful.  This
procedure is extreme and I would rather not put in print and potentially end
up with an on-line argument.  If you want to contact me directly, I would be
willing to discuss both procedures.

Peter Brothers
SPECS BROS., LLC
973-777-5055

Tape restoration, disaster recovery and re-mastering since 1983